Chinese speaking Dutch Professor of Innovation with decade long China research
Dr. Mark J. Greeven is a Chinese speaking Dutch academic, author and speaker based in China with a ringside seat on fast evolving developments in Chinese management and innovation. As a Professor of Innovation & Strategy he lectures at Zhejiang University, Rotterdam School of Management, Duke University, European School of Management and Technology, emlyon business school, Technical University Berlin. He is also research fellow at the China’s National Institute for Innovation Management, Center for China and Globalization and the Center for Global R&D and Innovation. He is selected on the 2017 Thinkers50 Radar list of 30 next generation business gurus and Personality of the Year 2017 of the Benelux Chamber of Commerce in China.
Since 2005, he has been collaborating closely with hundreds of Chinese and foreign ventures and advising Fortune 500 companies such as Sanofi, DSM, Philips, BASF, Bosch, and Dell but also US – and Europe based investors and funds. He has focused on innovation & entrepreneurship, digital business ecosystems, cross cultural management and global R&D in, to and from China. Thousands of executives have followed his workshops on innovation. Findings of his research are published in international academic journals and newspapers like The Financial Times, LSE Business Review, Nikkei Asian Review, The Telegraph, South China Morning Post and China Daily. He is the author of Business ecosystems in China: Alibaba and competing Baidu, Tencent, Xiaomi and LeEco (Routledge, 2018) with cover endorsement by Tim Draper and Pioneers, Hidden Champions, Change Makers and Underdogs: Lessons from China’s Innovators is forthcoming in 2019 with MIT Press.
Keynote Themes – with specialization China as context:
- Organizational transformation (Driving Change, Strategic Thinking, Leading in a changing world, Business ecosystem design)
- Digital disruption and transformation (digital strategy, new business models)
- Foster innovation (Innovation Mindset, Corporate Innovation and Corporate Lean)
Some specific topics delivered to clients:
- China's Innovation Imperative
- Chinese Innovators' Way - challenging Silicon Valley and the Asian Tigers
- Business ecosystem as a new way of organizing
- Swarm innovation
- Innovating HR - tech and org (AI / big data / talent analytics)
- Digital disruption and transformation
- Change makers - a new generation of entrepreneurs (millennials)
- New retail - digital and disruptive O2O
- Big data and AI transforming industries
- One Belt One Road and the digital Silk Road
Business Ecosystems in China
We cannot afford to miss the remarkable rise of Chinese business ecosystems. Alibaba and their peers Baidu, Tencent, Xiaomi, and LeEco showcase unprecedented growth and success in China and are expanding their impact globally. With a combined market capitalization of close to 600 billion USD, incubating over 1,000 new ventures and an average annual growth of over 50%, they have become a force to reckon with for the likes of Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, and IBM. Business ecosystem' is a frequently used concept to describe the unique competitive advantages of the American technology giants. This book explores not only the application of a business ecosystem approach in the Chinese context but also deals with the key strategic question: How did these five Chinese business ecosystems grow so rapidly and successfully?
A mandarin narrative
Article - The Smart Manager