Chairman of Unilever. fm Chief Executive Officer of Bayer AG.
Dr Marijn Dekkers was appointed Chairman of Unilever in April 2016. He is also a member of Unilever’s Compensation Committee and the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee.
Before becoming Chairman of Unilever, Marijn Dekkers was Chief Executive Officer of Bayer AG in Germany (2010-2016) and Chief Executive Officer of Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. in the USA (2002-2009).
Having received a degree in chemistry from Radboud University in Nijmegen, the Netherlands, and a PhD in chemical engineering from the University of Eindhoven, Marijn began his career in 1985 as a research scientist at General Electric in the US, gaining experience in various units of the company before joining AlliedSignal (subsequently Honeywell International) in 1995.
In 2000, Marijn became Chief Operating Officer at Boston-based Thermo Electron Corporation, a world leader in the manufacture of laboratory instruments (later renamed Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.). In 2002 he became this company’s President and CEO. In 2010 Marijn joined Bayer AG in Leverkusen, Germany, as CEO until his retirement in 2016. Bayer is a Life Sciences company active in the areas of human, animal and plant health.
Marijn also serves on the Board of Directors of General Electric. He holds both US and Dutch citizenships.
- 2016: Appointed Chairman of Unilever and a member of Unilever’s Compensation Committee and the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee
- 2014 - 2016: President of the German Chemical Industry Association
- 2012: Became an Independent Director at General Electric
- 2010 - 2016: Chief Executive Officer of Bayer AG
- 2000 - 2009: Chief Operating Officer and then president and Chief Executive Officer of Thermo Fisher Scientific
- 1995 - 2000: Joined AlliedSignal/Honeywell
- 1985 - 1995: Research scientist at General Electric